Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Who Needs Clothes?

I like to think of myself as a fairly crafty person.  Not everything that I make is clothing.  Sometimes I like to to try my hand at other things as well.  In my bellydance post I mentioned that my style is tribal fusion.  One of my favorite things about the style is the accessories they wear with their costuming.  It's a neat mix of goth/roaring 20s/tribal topped off with some giant silk flowers. 

<-- This is a close up of the detail of one of the hair falls I made

 This is what the full fall looks like.  It's about three feet long. -->

I made a matching set of these.  They are fairly simple.  The top is four-strand braided down to and in between the cowrie shells.  The bells came from so old anklets I had.  They add a nice little jingle but nothing too extreme.  I plan to make more of these in the future and experiment with different lengths and styles.







I am really pleased with how the headband turned out.  The base is just a white headband with gold accents threaded in the design.  I found it at Hobby Lobby as well as the flowers.  I had the long chains left over from when I made by scale bra and the little bit of metal you see on the other side is an old gypsy earring I owned.  I just sewed everything onto the headband and it came out quite lovely.   I also plan to make more of these, again in varying colors and styles.

To see these two pieces worn with an outfit see the last picture in my bellydance post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment