Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Courtesean: Inspiration

So I am hoping that I have the money to make a dress for XX Con that is coming up in February.  I'm pretty sure that I have the time to make it, but I'm really picky about fabric.  I'm happy to indulge in a sale or even settle for something that "isn't the right fabric" as long as the look, feel and hang of it are right.  Of course, sometimes that means that there are no substitutes.  Still it's not an exceptionally full dress so hopefully it won't take an extraordinary amount of fabric.

The dress that I want to make was worn by the Mord Sith Denna in the 2nd season of Legend of the Seeker.  At that point in time she is working as a Madame and her dress is very appropriate for the part.  It's simple, and really quite modest except for the back which plunges down to the small of the back.  The look is perfect for a more elegant Anat.  I apologize for the quality of the photos but it was hard to find any online.  I had to capture them from the video.  I'll probably go to Joann's on Friday (I'm off) to at least price fabric to see if it will be doable.  If not it will have to wait until later in the year.
The back is admittedly my favorite.  The front is so simple you don't really expect it as well as keeps it from being obscene.





 The front is a simple scoop neck and the lines are simple.  It seems to be fully lined.  The gold peeks out around the neck like and can be seen at the folds on the arms, the inside of the sleeves as well as the underside of the train.
I probably won't wear the train so long, or at all, as I will run the risk of having it stepped on.  I might have it a little longer in the back to keep in with the overall look, but I have done trains in the past and they can be a little impractical.

No comments:

Post a Comment