Thursday, June 13, 2013

My New Favorite Things: Pasties

So as you already know I have started doing burlesque.  I had my first show back in May and it was amazing.  I can't even being to describe how exhilarating the whole experience was.  I thought I would be nervous but as soon as I stepped onto the stage I knew it was where I meant to be.  And as I danced the crowed hollered and hooted and it just was this fantastic energy that I couldn't get enough of. 

But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

No, what I'm here to talk about is my new found love of pasties.  I love making them, looking at them, the very concept of them.  A pastie can just be a decorative aspect to the costume or it can be the punchline.  And my crafting skills have not let me down. 

Behold the seashell pasties from my first show!

These were completely hand sewn.  I started with a basic 3in circle and drew the seashell shape around/within it.  The basic form is made out of stiff felt and a little wedge cut out of the top allows for the curved shape.

Then I covered it in silver sequence and strung magenta beads to make the outline (they matched the dress).  I then glued in a linking of soft knit.  I was so exceptionally proud of them and they were a big hit!







And now, my most current creation!

This one is just a simple circle but it has all the rhinestones!  I'm super excited about this number and it's my first time playing with rhinestones.  They've taken a bit of getting used to but ultimately I love the sparkle that they add to the costume. 

I look forward to making many more of these little beauties!

No comments:

Post a Comment